Wednesday, September 13, 2006

GRE

I took the GRE general test at Thomson Prometric in South San Francisco. The facilities were really nice-right on the bay next to a yacht club! I finished early so I went walking along the water, and it was pretty relaxing.
The test was without issue (730 verbal, 800 quantitative-no complaints here..although I feel so *unspecial* about the perfect math because ALL the grad students in my lab were like "yeah, I was perfect on math too"). Three tiny gripes:

(1) The girl sitting next to me sighed loudly every five minutes. I didn't want to brave the greasy headphones to block out the sound... eventually it stopped distracting me. Lots of knuckle-crackers in the room also.

(2) I got the SAME IMPOSSIBLE word in two DIFFERENT problems! Once I had to find the antonym of it, and the other time it was used in an analogy. With all the tough vocab words that exist, they shouldn't have to resort to using the same one twice. I'm just a little annoyed because I had to guess on both of them, which could possibly have lowered my score by 20 points or so.

(3) When I was finished, the computer asked me if I wanted to cancel my test or report (see) my scores. After clicking "report", I then had to click it again when the computer asked me if I was sure, and AGAIN when the computer asked me if I was REALLY sure! I was expecting them to pop up the first time I clicked "report" and had braced myself, but by the third click I was a quivering, emotional mess.

So, another grad school milestone passed... now I have to figure out how to report the damn things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home