Friday, July 07, 2006

This is ridiculous

On the news today I saw that a girl gave birth to a baby in a WalMart--without even knowing she was pregnant! You can say all you want about "heart-warming" "miraculous" or whatever, but I would like to take the time to say: HOW OVERWEIGHT CAN YOU BE TO NOT KNOW YOU'RE PREGNANT?!?!?!?!??!
They interviewed the girl and she said "I had no idea--no morning sickness, no movement." However, MOST people know they're pregnant because they are carrying THIRTY extra pounds in their abdomen, not because they get morning sickness!
America, you gross me out sometimes.

By the way, I'm not that much of a terrible person: I hope this woman does well with her baby and all. It's just sort of weird.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Hm, I would tend not to call it "heart-warming" or "miraculous," considering she left the baby there to die. But I saw pictures of her (http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/14820476.htm) and while she's overweight, she's definitely not in the wouldn't-notice-thirty-pounds category. I knew a girl who didn't realize she was pregnant until six months, though, and she was very normal looking; she put on ten or fifteen pounds, but she thought it was just because she was eating more than usual. I'unno. More likely, this woman knew she was pregnant and obviously didn't want the baby but didn't know how to deal with it.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have thought the opposite. I think it takes longer for the bump to become noticeable in women who are very fit and have strong abdominal muscles. For example: http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/40212.html

10:08 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hehe, I like how we're all overlooking this business of pregnancy = no period for awhile.
"It was so annoying that I was too relieved when it went away to think too much about it."

Sorry, I become rather cynical after 3:00 am.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

That is usually a giveaway, but athletes sometimes have irregular periods from working out a lot and extremely low body fat; stress and weight gain can make you skip periods too, and sometimes pregnant women spot throughout the pregnancy.

True, though -- I could imagine not noticing for, like, three months tops, but it is pretty much a dead giveaway.

...that was not a grotesque pun.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home