Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I never thought about the claws...

Gucci is selling these shoes:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

They are made of ostrich claws. WHAT THE HELL?

Yikes. How many claws does it take to make one pair of shoes?... This might be one of those luxury items (along with gloves made of baby panda bear noses) which might sort of justify the huge price tag?

EDIT: This is the sort of thing I think about too much. Maybe that's why I was up until 3 again last night.

RE-EDIT:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sqawk. Please don't kill me and take my claws.

5 Comments:

Blogger seabeans said...

If you think about it, bird feet skin is a lot like reptile skin. Birds are supposedly reptile cousins anyway. Those just look like lizard.

It looks like it takes at least 3 toes (the bigger scales are on top of each toe, at least from my duck feet eating experience I think I remember that) to make the front/sides of the shoe and then some extra to cover the back and heel.

They already use ostrich leather (under the feather part) for stuff, why let the feet go to waste, right? Ostriches are farmed, in fact we'll see an ostrich/emu farm on the way to the Wild Animal Park if we go there when you come to visit! And ostriches are pretty cheap as livestock go...you can get a chick for like 50 bucks.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gloves made of baby panda bear noses?

But I like pandas! I like pandas that are alive.

*cries*

9:45 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

It's pretty ridiculous that it takes roughly one set of ostrich claws to make a pair of shoes, when you think about how at least 10-20 pairs of leather shoes can be made from one cow, and they still charge a bazillion bucks for some leather shoes.

And.. hopefully they don't make baby panda bear nose gloves... noses are probably too squishy...

12:20 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I agree... baby panda bear nose pillows would be a lot better...

10:17 PM  
Blogger seabeans said...

It would take so many panda nose leathers to make anything! They'd probably just make money clips (for dudes) and compact mirrors (for chicks).

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home