Tuesday, October 10, 2006

SPOON Breakfast Cook

This morning (although it seems like days ago) we had our quarterly breakfast cook for SPOON, the Stanford Project on Hunger. I'm a coordinator this year, so we have to participate in our own activities and start the quarter by cooking breakfast for a homeless shelter in Palo Alto. I'd never done anything like it before, and it was fun to (1) cook for so many people--try cracking and scrambling 180 eggs--and (2) to serve it and meet the people at the shelter. I'm not quite sure if our breakfast actually helps anything (actually, some of the people were like "man, if they feed us like this, why would anyone get a job?!?" --cringe but smile--), but it definitely was nice to do something nice and see it make someone's day.
Two random things happened because of it, though. First, I took a nap when I got back home at 9:30 am, and had the weirdest dream about the maintenence people being in my room, only to hear the maintenence guy knock on my door. I couldn't answer because I was in that weird half asleep where you can think/hear but not move. After a few knocks, he came into my room but I was hidden behind a dresser so he thought no one was there. Then I finally mustered up enough wakefulness to pop up, but I think I scared him. The second thing that happened is that I have a terrible craving for scrambled eggs right now. I wonder if they make them at late night...

EDIT: I went to late night and got an omelette without the cheese & meat (aka scrambled eggs). I had the hardest time convincing people that all I really wanted was eggs with salt and pepper. In the end it was $5.50 but it didn't matter because I paid with my points, which I never use up anyways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home